This short course provides a foundation for understanding what social capital is, where it comes from, and what it does as well as some of the challenges of reading the literature and conducting research on social capital. Ultimately, the goal of this course is to help you to understand the concept better, apply it more effectively, and save you time in doing so.
This is a short course that is also available as part of the Full Course on social capital.
What Will You Learn?
- Gain a general understanding of what the term social capital means with examples to bring it to life
- Get background knowledge about the different approaches to social capital and the challenges to reading the literature
- Learn about the value of the concept and why it has become popular
- Find out about the various outcomes of social capital and where social capital comes from
- Gain insights into the criticisms of the concept and why some people have objected to its use
Introduction to social capital28:52
Audio and Additional Materials
Quiz – Social Capital Introduction