This course explores the history of the concept of social capital and how it has evolved and increased in popularity over the last 30 years, and in the context of the last 120 years. Ultimately, the goal of this course is to help you to understand the concept better, apply it more effectively, and save you time in doing so.
What Will You Learn?
- Find out about how popular the concept has become and why it is so important across the social sciences and beyond
- Learn about why social capital became popular in the 1990s and how that may relate to your interest in the concept
- Develop a broad understanding of the contemporary authors and when and where they developed their conceptual approaches
- Discover the historical conceptual foundations that led to the current understanding of social capital
- Gain insights into what details of this history may be relevant to your work on social capital
History and evolution of social capital
History and evolution of social capital18:07
Audio and Additional Materials
Quiz – Social Capital History and Evolution