This course explores the many different conceptual approaches to social capital that can be difficult to identify in the literature and if not understood, can result in enormous confusion and difficulties. The major approaches are identified and explained, and a typology is provided to help understand and position the different approaches. Ultimately, the goal of this course is to help you to understand the concept better, apply it more effectively, and save you time in doing so.
What Will You Learn?
- Develop an understanding of why there are so many different definitions and approaches to social capital and the problems of defining the concept
- Get the latest information about the most common or popular definitions being used in the literature
- Explore the meaning and common elements of these definitions
- Gain an understanding of the difference between the source, form and outcomes of social capital and how different definitions and measurement approaches focus on different aspects
- With the help of a typology, develop an understanding of how the popular definitions and approaches focus on different aspects of the source, form, or outcomes of social capital
- Learn more about the main conceptual approaches, their differences, and which approach may be most appropriate for your work
- Get some valuable tips for how to select an appropriate conceptual approach and definition and how to avoid many of the common criticisms of social capital research
Understanding social capital
Understanding social capital50:36
Quiz – Social Capital Definition and Approaches
Audio and Additional Materials